boczar AT berkeley DOT edu (Does this do anything?)
I am a fourth-year PhD student in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at UC Berkeley, advised by Prof. Ben Recht, working in BAIR, and supported by the DoD NDSEG Fellowship. I am interested in optimization, control, learning, and other areas of applied mathematics.
In 2015, I was a GSI for the first major-agnostic introductory data science course. During the course, I spent some time cramming machine learning classifiers into Tweets. In 2016, I spent time at Google Seattle.
Previously, I worked in the RISE Lab at NAVAIR in Lakehurst, NJ. Prior to that, I received my M.S. in Electrical Engineering along with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and a minor in Mathematics from the University of Pennsylvania.
I enjoy basketball and music.
- Stephen Tu, Ross Boczar, Benjamin Recht, "On the Approximation of Toeplitz Operators for Nonparametric H-infinity-norm Estimation." Submitted to American Control Conference 2018. [arXiv]
- Stephen Tu, Ross Boczar, Andrew Packard, Benjamin Recht, "Non-Asymptotic Analysis of Robust Control from Coarse-Grained Identification." [arXiv]
- Ross Boczar, Laurent Lessard, Andrew Packard, Benjamin Recht, "Exponential Stability Analysis via Integral Quadratic Constraints." Submitted to IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. [arXiv]
- Stephen Tu, Ross Boczar, Max Simchowitz, Mahdi Soltanolkotabi, Benjamin Recht, "Low-rank Solutions of Linear Matrix Equations via Procrustes Flow." ICML 2016. [Link][arXiv]
- Ross Boczar, Laurent Lessard, Benjamin Recht, "Exponential Convergence Bounds using Integral Quadratic Constraints." 54th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, CDC 2015, Osaka, Japan. [Link][arXiv][Code]
- James T. Hing, Ross Boczar, Kyle Hart, "Parking Autonomous Skids." Human Interface and the Management of Information: Information and Knowledge in Context. 17th International Conference, HCI International 2015, Los Angeles, CA, USA, August 2-7, 2015, Proceedings, Part II. [Link]
- Larry Venetsky, Ross Boczar, and Robert Lee-Own, "Optimization of background subtraction for image enhancement," Proc. SPIE 8751, Machine Intelligence and Bio-inspired Computation: Theory and Applications VII, 875102 (May 28, 2013), doi:10.1117/12.2014319. [PDF]
- Ross Boczar, Jason Suapengco, and Gabriel Torres, "AutoPlug: Open Architecture for Automotive Services," 2011. [Poster]
- Amy Calhoun, "AutoPlug: Plug-n-Play Comes to Automotive Technology," Penn Engineering Magazine, Fall 2011. [PDF]
- Some patents...
- Some talks...